Heads up Aussie retailers: the transition to PIN is almost complete. Final cut off for ALL signature payment authorisations is the 18th of October.
This means that from October 18th, the PIN will be the main form of card payment authorisation in Australia and your customers will no longer be able to use their signature to verify or authorise credit, charge, and debit card transactions at point-of-sale.
The deadline is fast approaching, so if you haven’t done so yet, be sure to get yourself PIN ready.
Does PIN apply to ALL transactions?
Nope. There are some exceptions to the PIN requirement, including:
- Contactless transactions (Visa payWave, MasterCard PayPass or American Express Contactless) under $100
- Certain transactions under $35
- Transactions from most unattended terminals like vending machines, parking meters, and kiosks
- Transactions by customers whose cards are issued by banks outside Australia (e.g tourists)
- Transactions from payment cards that don’t have a chip
- Transactions from signature only cards
How can you educate your customers?
Take the steps to ensure that your customers are aware that signature authorisation is nearly obsolete. One of the best ways to do this is to ask your cashiers to emphasise PINs and stop offering signatures as an option during check out.
The PINwise website also has lots of great educational materials for download. Click here to get your hands on PINwise artwork, posters, flyers, counter wobblers, and tent cards for your store.
If you need more information, visit http://www.pinwise.com.au/merchant.html or contact the financial institution that handles your credit card transactions.
Get PIN ready with Tyro and Vend
If you’re not sure how to make the transition to PIN, we recommend you chat with Tyro, an excellent Vend payments partner.
With Tyro you can:
- Take payments with Vend from any device (iPad, Mac or PC)
- Checkout customers faster
- Join risk-free with no lock-in contracts or hidden fees
- Get great per transaction value
To learn more about Tyro or to book a consultation, visit www.vendhq.com/tyro and submit your details. The Tyro team are super helpful!
About Tara Benedict
A former retailer (and unabashed nerd) who daydreamed about integrated POS software, Tara now delightedly recruits, promotes, and enables Vend's wonderful channel of add-ons and partners. An ardent sharer of Vend news and events, connect with Tara on Twitter, LinkedIn or Google+ and never miss an opportunity to meet up with the affable Vend team.